The Curative Powers of the Common Salt
By: Dr. Abbas Kazim
Bakson Homoeopathic Medical College and Hospital,
Greater NOIDA, India
Start your meal with some salt. If people only knew of its benefits, they would have preferred it to establish medications.
-Imam Ali ibn Abi Talib (A.S.)
Reference: Wasail us-Shia, Volume: 16, page 520
The above mentioned saying which you’ve just been through is narrated by one of the greatest teacher of Islam Imam Ali ibn Abi Talib (A.S.) who was the successor to the Holy Prophet of Islam born in Arab Community about 1400 years back, and it’s a very simple thing we have in our meal or we use at different places but if we realize the importance of this, we would have been using it as a medicinal stuff, and that saying states that and to prove it, you can read the lines mentioned below for a brief introduction to the medicinal characteristics of salts.
After 1790, when the era of homeopathy took it’s starting, this saying was proved true when Dr. Samuel Hahnemann experimented and found that this common salt is capable of curing a 1000’s of symptoms produced by various diseases, when it is gone through a series of process of potentisation.
We might be unaware of the broad spectrum of action of medicinal properties of this common salt, but if we got to read the curative powers of this substance in homoeopathic books of medicines, we will got to know that there is perhaps no system of our body on which it does not act.
Natrum muriaticum is the homoeopathic remedy commonly known as table salt or sodium chloride. It is the second most common substance in nature after water and it is a constituent of both body fluids and tissues.
It is also one of the most descriptive remedies in homoeopathic material medica.Dr. N.B. Nash, in his material medica, this remedy is the second most maximum space taking remedy, out of 225 remedies.
It is polychrest among polychrests.
Now let us discuss about its various curative powers according to different systems of our body.
There are 11 systems in our body:
1. Nervous system: detects and processes sensory information; activates bodily responses.
2. Muscular system: enables movement (with skeletal system); helps maintain body temperature.
3. Digestive system: processes food for use by the body; removes wastes from undigested food.
4. Reproductive system:
Male reproductive system: produces sex hormones and gametes; delivers gameters to female.
Female reproductive system: produces sex hormones; supports embryo/fetus until birth; produces milk for infants.
5. Respiratory system: removes carbon dioxide from body; delivers oxygen to blood.
6. Cardio vascular system: delivers oxygen and nutrients to tissues; equalizes temperature in the body.
7. Skeletal system: supports the body; enables movement (with muscular system).
8. Integumentary system: includes hair, skin, nails – encloses internal body structures, sites of many sensory receptors.
9. Endocrine system: secretes hormones, regulates bodily processes.
10. Lymphatic system: returns fluid to blood; defend against pathogens.
11. Urinary system.: control water balance in the body; removes wastes from blood and excretes them.
I have tried to give succinct resume of natrum muriaticum, used in homoeopathy.
Nervous system - There is wonderful prostration of a peculiar kind, nervous prostration, and nervous irritability.
There is a long chain of mental symptoms; hysterical condition of the mind and body; Tears with laughter. Easily takes on grief, grief over nothing Depressed, particularly in chronic diseases. Consolation aggravates. Irritable; gets into a passion about trifles. Awkward, hasty. Wants to be alone to cry.
The natrum muriaticum patient is greatly disturbed by excitement, is extremely emotional. The whole nervous economy is in state of fret and irritation. The pains are stitching, convulsive jerks of the limbs on falling asleep, twitching, shooting pains.
Muscular system – Great emaciation, losing flesh while living well. Throat and neck of children emaciate rapidly during summer complaints. Awkward, hasty, drops thing from nervous weakness. Eyelids heavy. Muscles weak and stiff.
Digestive system -
• Mouth - Frothy coating on tongue, with bubbles on side. Sense of dryness. Scorbutic gums. Numbness, tingling of tongue, lips, and nose. Vesicles and burning on tongue, as if there was a hair on it. Eruptions around mouth and vesicles like pearls on lips. Lips and corners of mouth dry, ulcerated, and cracked. Deep crack in middle of lower lip. Tongue mapped. Loss of taste. Large vesicle on lower lip, which is swollen and burns. Immoderate thirst.
• Stomach - Hungry, yet loose flesh . Heartburn, with palpitation. Unquenchable thirst. Sweats while eating. Craving for salt. Aversion to bread, to anything slimy, like oysters, fats. Throbbing in pit. Sticking sensation in cardiac orifice.
• Abdomen - Cutting pain in abdomen. Distended. Pain in abdominal ring on coughing.
• Rectum - Burning pains and stitching after stool. Anus contracted, torn, bleeding. Constipation; stool dry, crumbling. Painless and copious diarrhea, preceded by pinching pain in abdomen.
Male reproductive system - Emission, even after coitus. Impotence with retarded emission.
Female reproductive system - Menses irregular; usually profuse. Vagina dry. Leucorrhea acrid, watery. Bearing-down pains; worse in morning. Prolapsus uteri, with cutting in urethra. Ineffectual labor-pains. Suppressed menses. Hot during menses.
Respiratory - Cough from a tickling in the pit of stomach, accompanied by stitches in liver and spurting of urine. Stitches all over chest. Cough, with bursting pain in head. Shortness of breath, especially on going upstairs. Whooping-cough with flow of tears with cough.
Cardio vascular system - Tachycardia. Sensation of coldness of heart. Heart and chest feel constricted. Fluttering, palpitating; intermittent pulse. Heart's pulsations shake body. Intermits on lying down.
Skeletal system - Pain in back, with desire for some firm support. Every movement accelerates the circulation. Palms hot and perspiring. Arms and legs, but especially knees, feel weak. Hangnails. Dryness and cracking about finger-nails. Numbness and tingling in fingers and lower extremities. Ankles weak and turn easily. Painful contraction of hamstrings. Cracking in joints on motion. Coldness of legs with congestion to head, chest, and stomach.
Skin - Greasy, oily, especially on hairy parts. Dry eruptions, especially on margin of hairy scalp and bends of joints. Fever blisters. Urticarial; itch and burn. Crusty eruptions in bends of limbs, margin of scalp, behind ears .Warts on palms of hands. Eczema; raw, red, and inflamed; worse, eating salt, at seashore. Affects hair follicles. Alopecia. Hives, itching after exertion. Greasy skin.
Face - Oily, shiny, as if greased. Earthy complexion. Fevers-blisters.
Endocrine system - Hyperthyroidism. Goiters. Addison’s disease. Diabetes.
Lymphatic system – it relieves imbalances of the lymphatic system, blood, spleen, and the mucous membrane lining of the alimentary canal.
Urinary system - Pain just after urinating. Increased, involuntary when walking, coughing, etc. For those patients who has to wait a long time for it to pass if others are present.
You have just been through how this drug called substance covers all these systems of our body & there are many more things or cures which are still not discovered but it helps in there too. However in homoeopathy it is not easy to apply this knowledge for the relief of symptoms of patient, unless he knows the individual characteristics of this particular drug.
So we have come out with this remedy after 1790 when the era of homeopathy begun and but if we have noticed the saying of that teacher, we would have discovered it quite earlier, and that mentor was none other than HAZRAT ALI-IBN-ABI-TALIB, the son in law of the HOLY PROPHET MOHAMMAD (S.A.W.A.), He used to be known as “THE GATEWAY OF CITY OF KNOWLEDGE” ”. If we ought to bless ourselves from the unbounded sea of knowledge, we should read his books like NAHJUL BALAGHA – THE PEAK OF ELOQUENCE.
God mentioned that you are blessed with all the resources and required things to live a prosperous and a healthy life, all you need to do is to think, explore, study and research if want to divine your future.