Islamic Research Foundation of Astan Quds Razavi
Without any doubt the Holy Qur'an and hadith have always been the effluent source of Islamic sciences and learning. The sages and great Islamic scholars by getting inspiration from these two bounteous and perpetual sources have shined in all the fields of sciences and knowledge. During that period, when Europe was engulfed in ignorance and superstitions, they generously disseminated the seeds of knowledge and learning throughout the world. Strangers enjoyed from its shares and attained learning and by obtaining the industrial and new technological know-how were able to place themselves on the seat of power and dominance.
With the lapse of time the Muslims by forgetting their cultural values and standards were entrapped in the clutches of superficially decorated and deceiving system of the infidels and atheists and by following the degraded Western models they fell, from the apogee of respect to the distressful situation of disgrace.
Now with the dawning of the sunshine of the glorious Islamic Revolution, great and far-reaching facilities have been provided to regain Islam's past glory and splendor. Now, it is up to the wise, learned scholars and researchers and dedicated believers, by seeking help and assistance from the All-Knowing Creator to commence a scientific holy struggle to achieve these sublime Islamic goals and desires.
Astan Quds Razavi under the shadow of the blessings of the eighth Imam Hadrat Ali ibn Musa ar-Reza (A.S.) and inspired by the saying of the great leader of Islamic Revolution Hadrat Imam Khomeini (R.A.), who considered Astan Quds Razavi as the center of Iran and with the recommendations of the Supreme Leader of Islamic Republic of Iran, Hadrat Ayatullah al-Uzma Khamenei has fulfilled its great responsibility of reviving and efflorescing the prolific Islamic culture.
In order to attain the valuable objective of publishing the realities of the Holy Qur'an and preaching the teachings of the Ahl al-Bayt (A.S.), the reverend grand custodian of Astan Quds Razavi, Ayatullah Waiz Tabasi has always stressed on the cultural and religious aspects and accepted the recommendation to establish a cultural institution named "Bunyad Puzuheshaye Islami" "Islamic Research Foundation" and in the year 1984 it was registered as a legal entity with framed constitution to achieve the cited objectives.
Structure and History
Generalities and Objectives
Islamic Research Foundation since its inception in the year 1984 have always endeavored to attain all the cited objectives and in this way reach its goals. At present the institution is working in a newly constructed building whose construction commenced in 1997 and accomplished in 2002 so that with more peace of mind and solace the scientific and research objectives bear its fruits. It has to be mentioned that the new building is four-storied and occupies a total area of 24300 square meters and includes units for research departments and offices and all its units are equipped with advanced centrally heating and cooling as well as audio facilities.
The goals of Islamic Research Foundation are as follows:
1. Expanding the Islamic culture to strengthen the religious beliefs and spreading the Shi'ite teachings.
2. Publishing the Islamic sciences and the rightful teachings of Ja'fari school of jurisprudence in the radiance of the basic and applied research.
3. Reviving and publishing scientific and Islamic exquisite treasures.
4. Enhancing the scientific level of the researchers in the arena of Islamic sciences by establishing a college for research in the Islamic sciences.
5. Fulfilling the research needs of Astan Quds Razavi especially the cultural institutions.
6. Activating the scientific potentials of the researchers in the universities and Hawzah (Islamic Seminary) who are engaged in research in the fields of Islamic sciences.
The Grounds for Activities
Islamic Research Foundation besides its endeavors to achieve its basic objectives is also carrying out other programs and activities which is summed up as follows:
1. To establish research departments and colleges for research in the form of departments and disciplines in Islamic sciences and humanities to achieve the cited objectives.
2. Recruiting proficient and capable scholars and researchers in the various scientific bodies.
3. Availing the research potentials available in the scientific centers and signing different agreements with researchers and translators for carrying out research, compilation, translation and edition in line with the cited objectives of the foundation.
4. Reciprocal cooperation with all the institutions of the Astan Quds Razavi in particular the cultural institutions to ascertain the research and educational needs.
5. Enhancing the scientific level of the researchers in the foundation by providing them study opportunities and scholarships in scientific organizations within the country and abroad.
6. Granting study opportunities to the researchers and scholars in the universities and Hawzah (Islamic Seminary) and granting scholarships in line with the research objectives of the foundation.
7. Printing scientific and specialized publications.
8. Organizing scientific congresses, sessions and conferences in particular commemorating and introducing the Holy Infallible Imams (A.S.) and other scientific and Islamic notables and cooperating with seminars inside the country and abroad.
9. Carrying out necessary actions which are deemed necessary to achieve the objectives of the foundation.
It has to be mentioned that the activities of the foundation is unlimited and its original center is located in Mashhad at the beginning of Tabarsi Avenue beside the Holy Shrine of Imam Reza (A.S.) and if necessary, it can establish representative offices within the country and abroad.
The establishment of the representative offices abroad depends on the approval by the assembly.
In addition, the foundation is Iran based body and affiliated to Astan Quds Razavi and is considered as a non-profit making institution.
Islamic Research Foundation like other research organizations is made up of constituents which are as follows:
A: The Assembly
The assembly is the highest body of the foundation and the reverend chief custodian of Astan Quds Razavi possesses all the authority of the assembly.
The assembly can delegate some of its powers to a person or a group of persons.
The Duties and Powers of the Assembly:
1. Policy-making, formulating the directives and approving the long term programs.
2. Approving the annual budget and expressing its opinion about the research, secretarial and financial performance of the foundation.
3. Appointing the members of the Board of Directors and appointing the Managing Director and the Inspector.
4. Accepting the resignation and dismissal of the members of the Board of Directors and the Inspector.
5. Approving the salary and wages system of the foundation and fixing the salary of the Managing Director, the members of the Board of Directors and the Inspector.
6. Approving the constitution and bringing changes and amendments in it.
7. The final decision for the dissolution of the foundation and its clearance is forwarded in written form to the Board of Directors and the text of the resolution is binding to be implemented
B: The Board of Directors
The Board of Directors is comprised of seven persons and selected from among the distinguished scholars and researchers from the Hawzah (Islamic Seminary) and university as well as the scientific and cultural institutions affiliated to Astan Quds Razavi. They are appointed for a period of three years by the assembly.
The Duties and Authority of the Board of Directors.
1. Formulating and compiling the short-term, middle-term and long-term scientific plans and research programs and submitting them to the assembly.
2. Recommending the session of the assembly to submit the programs and the general directives of the foundation.
3. Approving the establishment of the new research departments, research programs and works and conducting scientific seminars within the country.
4. Recommending to the assembly for the establishment of the College for Research and organizing congresses.
5. Approving the internal constitution of the foundation.
C: The Managing Director
The Managing Director is selected from among the learned and expert managers well-versed with the issues of research in Islamic seminary and university and is selected by the general assembly for a period of three years and will be one of the members of the Board of Directors of the foundation.
The Duties and Authority of the Managing Director
1. Preparing the long-term program and way of operations of the foundation and submitting it to the Board of Directors.
2. Preparing and submitting the institution's structure including the explanation of the duties and organizational post to the Board of Directors.
3. Preparing and submitting all the executive directives of the foundation to the Board of Directors.
4. Assessing and perpetual observation of all the scientific and executive activities of the foundation.
5. Appointing and dismissing the heads of the research departments and the executive directors of the foundation and recommending the appointment of deputies to the Board of Directors.
6. Appointing and dismissing the heads of the research departments and the executive directors of the foundation and recommending the appointment of deputies to the Board of Directors.
7. Necessary coordination with the Supreme Cultural Council of Astan Quds Razavi and submitting the necessary reports, data and information to the secretariat of the Supreme Cultural Council.
The research departments of the foundation can be considered as the spinal column of this research center which are as follows:
1. The Holy Qur'an
5. Islamic History
6. Islamic Texts Edition
7. Geography of Islamic Countries and Astronomy
8. Arabic and Urdu Translation
9. European Languages Translation (English, French, German)
10. The Children and Adolescent Literature
11. Biography and Genealogy
13. The Encyclopedia of Astan Quds Razavi
The Scientific-promotional quarterly "Mishkat," affiliated to the foundation is being regularly published since the past eighteen years by the foundation.
Reviving the Nahjul Balagha and Islamic Economics departments and activating the Zaer (pilgrim) department are considered among the programs of the foundation.
It has to be mentioned that the researchers of the foundation have been selected from the Islamic seminary and university ranging from the post-graduate to the doctoral level.
Introducing the Departments
The Holy Qur'an Department
This department came into being simultaneously with the establishment of the Islamic Research Foundation and is carrying out the compilation of a great lexicon whose original plan was presented by emeritus Professor Waez Zadeh Khurasani.
This book, entitled "Al-Mojam fi Fiqh Lughat al-Qur'an wa Sirr Balagha" is being compiled by the close cooperation of nearly twenty persons since last seventeen years and is still under process. It is expected that the number of volumes of this lexicon may reach twenty and is also one of the most valuable lexicons in the etymology of the words in the Holy Qur'an.
The Holy Qur'an department during its services has attained a great success.
"Al-Mojam fi Figh Luqhat al-Qur'an wa Sirr Balagha" has received the award of "The Book of the Year, 1380, Sh / 2001 CE, the Selected Book of the Islamic Seminary of Qum in the Year 1380 Sh / 2001 CE, The Selected Book in the seminar to pay homage to " the Servants of the Holy Qur'an" in the field of text culture conducted in the year 1379 Sh / 2000 CE.
The Works Accomplished
Collecting the sources
• Preparing more than 400,000 index cards
• Printing and publication of 8 volumes of the book "Al-Mojam fi Fiqh Lughat al-Qur'an wa Sirr Balagha"
• Compilation of the book " Nusus fi Ulum al-Qur'an, whose first volume have been published and the remaining volumes are being readied for the publication.
In addition, to the above-mentioned works the activities as mentioned below also have been carried out by the researchers in this department.
• Analyzing and expressing its views regarding the books in Qur'anic sciences submitted to the foundation.
• Scientific and literary edition of the books "Sharh wa Tafsir Luqhat Qur'an" in four volumes and "Al-Durar al-Nazim" and its translation (under print).
• Translation of the book " Mawjeze Buzurg" (The Great Miracle).
• Supervision and cooperation in selecting the Qur'anic verses for the book "Qabasat".
This department was simultaneously formed with the establishment of the Islamic Research Foundation.
Late Hojjat al-Islam wal Muslimeen Professor Kazim Mudir Shanechi was the director of this department and at present the department is carrying out its activities with the help of eight scholars from the Islamic seminary and university.
The structure of the department according to the division of its work is usually in group and sometimes carried individually and the carrying out of the duties is based on their scientific and investigative levels.
The Published Works
1. The edition and research of the text "Hidayah al-Ummah" in 8 volumes.
2. The edition of "Al-Sahifah al-Sajjadiyah"
3. Sunan al-Nabi (S.A.W.) ( by now 9 volumes in print)
4. Research in "Qasas al-Anbiya" by Hibatullah Rawandi
5. Compilation of "Al-Hukm Min Kalam Ameer al-Muminin (A.S.)" in two volumes.
6. Compilation of "Lamhat Min Hayat al-Imam al-Hadi (A.S.)
7. Translation of " A'daab Mu'ashirat"
8. Cooperation in the edition and research of " Al-Arba'inaat"
9. Research in "Al-Arba'in fi Fada'il al-Imam Ameer al-Muminin (A.S.)
10. Research and edition of "Sukhanan Dur'arbar Imam Ali (A.S.)".
The works in jurisprudence by the brave jurisprudents in the Shi'ite domain are the treasures of the true Islamic culture and treasuries of Islamic heritage and these works by every possible means should be preserved and revived and the best way of preserving this heritage is its edition and publication by new ways so that they are protected from perishing but also can be easily referred to. For this purpose the jurisprudence department was established in the beginning of the year 1986 and started its activities. Hojjat al-Islam wa Muslimeen Ilahi Khurasani is the director of this department and with the efforts in last seventeen years by the researchers from the Islamic seminary were successful in accomplishing the below-mentioned plans:
1. Research and edition of the book "Muntaha al-Matlab fi Tahqiq al-Mazhab by Allamah Hilli (648-726 A.H.).
This book is considered as one of the most valuable books in Shi'ite jurisprudence and had mentioned the views of both the Shi'ite and Ahl al-Sunnah jurisprudents in detail and consists of contemporaneous jurisprudence.
Till now, eight volumes of this book have been printed and published and the ninth and tenth volumes are being made ready for printing and the remaining volumes are being researched and edited.
2. Research and edition of the exquisite book 'Al-Durus al-Shariyah fi Fiqh al- Imamiyah" written by martyred jurisprudent Shams al-din Muhammad bin Makki Ameli, famous as Shaheed-e Awwal.
3. Research and edition of the book " Al-Anwaar al-Jalaliyah fi Sharh al-Fusul al-Nasiriyah", written by Jamal al-Din Fazel Miqdad.
4. Research and edition of the manuscript "Takmilat al-Durus", written by Sayyid Jafar bin Ahmad al-Malhus al-Husaini, one of the Ulama of the ninth century Hijrah who in order to complete the book " Al-Durus al-Shariyah" compiled the remaining chapters of jurisprudence from rahn (mortgage) to diyat (blood money).
5. Bringing out the Ayats (verses) related to jurisprudential commands from Tafsir "Tebyan" by Shaykh Tusi, which includes a set of contemporaneous jurisprudence in the name of Ayat al-Ahkam ( the Verses of Commandments).
The aim of this department is to answer the doctrinal and scientific needs of the society, solving the religious complexities and doubts of the present generation and reviving the heritage left over by the great Shi'ite theologians and thinkers.
The Published Works
1. Sharh al-Mustalahat al-Kalamiyah
2. Mu'jam al-Anawin al-Kalamiyah wal Falsafiyah
3. Al-Hudud wal Furuq
4. Tarikh Ilm al-Kalam fi'l Islam
5. Tafsil al-Nash'atin wa Tahsil al-Sa'datayn
6. Kashif al-Gumma fi Tarikh al-A'imma.
7. Sharh-e Dua-e Arafah by Haji Fazel.
8. Asrar al-Imamah
9. Sharh al-Mustalahat al-Falsafiyah.
Compilation of Mu'jam Tabaqat al-Mutakallimin and edition and research of the books "Manahij al-Yaqin" and "Gawhar-e Murad" are the other works which are being accomplished in this department.
Islamic History Department
This department has endeavored to compile the below-mentioned works which have been published.
The Published Works
1. Imam Sajjad (A.S.), Jamal-e Niayeshgaran
2. Imam Baqir (A.S.), Jalwah-e Imamat Dar Ufuq-e Danesh.
3. Imam Ali bin Musa ar-Reza (A.S.), Munadi Tawheed Wa Imamat
4. Pajuhesh Piramun Zararah Wa Khandan-e A'yun.
5. The Landmarks of Mashhad.
6. Raftar-e Piyambar Ba Kudakan Wa Nawjawanan
At present six scholars are carrying out research activities in this department.
Compilation of the practical Seerah of the Holy Prophet (S.A.W.), the Lives of the Holy Imams (A.S.), knowing the Islamic movements from the beginning of the Islamic era till third century hijrah, the Lessons from Ashura are some of the plans being accomplished in this department.
Islamic Texts Edition Department
The activities of this department started in the year 1984 simultaneously with the establishment of the foundation.
The works published by this department have won the acclaim of the cultural circles.
The Published Works
1. Naqd Wa Tasheeh-e Mutun
2. Kitab Aarai Dar Tamaddun Islami
3. Iddah-tul-Uqul Wa Umdatul Ma'qul
4. Umdatul Kitab Wa Iddah Zu'l Albab
5. Me'raj Namah
6. Tadhkiratul Ulama (Tunikabuni)
7. Majmu'a Rasail Khati Farsi (6 Books)
8. Nur al-Mashriqain Wa Iksir-al Sa'adatyn
The below-mentioned works are included in the program of this department:
1. Edition and research of "Majalis al-Muminin" (Qazi Nurullah Shushtari)
2. Edition and research of "Mahafil al-Muminin"
3. Majmu'a Rasail Khati-i Farsi, Seventh Book.
4. Firdaus al-Tarikh
5. Dunya Wa Akhirah Az Deedgah Imam Ali (A.S.)
6. Al-Nur al-Jili fi Ruwat Wa Ashab al-Imam Ali (A.S.)
7. Tarikh Hukama Wa Tarikh Balkh
Geography of Islamic Countries and Astronomy Department
In the beginning it comprised of two separate departments (Geography Department and Astronomy Department) but now they have been merged into a single department.
Some of the works published by the Geography of Islamic Countries Department are mentioned below:
1. Farhang-e Abadiha Wa Makanha-e Mazhabi Kishwar
2. Farhangnamah Tatbiqi Namhaye Jadid Wa Qadeem Makanhaye Jugrafiya.
3. Diyar-e Aashna.
4. Robat Sharaf.
5. Rah-e Abrisham
6. Awqat Shar'i Marakaz Ustanha
7. Articles Submitted to the Seminar on Geography (4 volumes)
8. Atlas-e Qibla Numah
This department is at present carrying out these works: Geographical Perspectives (in 15 volumes), Mazarat-e Khurasan, Masjid-e Gawharshad and the Famous Personalities buried in the holy shrine of Imam Reza (A.S.) in three volumes.
The following works have been accomplished by the Astronomy Department:
1. Isti'ab al-Wujuh al-Mamkanah fi San'at al-Usturlab.
2. Hidayat Tullab Be Danish-e Usturlab
3. Tuhfah Hatami
4. The Foundation and Bases of Mathematical Geography (Land in the Space)
5. Awqat Shar'i Ustan Isfahan (Joint work of two departments).
6. Awqat Shar'i Ustan Fars (Joint work of two departments).
Arabic and Urdu Translation Department
This department was established in the year 1985 and started its activities with 10 official and unofficial members and during last seventeen years have published approximately 70 titles of books in 100 volumes.
Most of the works of this department have been accomplished individually and some of their works have been praised within the province and country which are as follows:
1. Kitab Dar Pu'ye-e Tarikh.
2. Translation of the "Tafsir-e Jawamah al- Jamah" (in 6 volumes)
3. Imamat Dar Parto-e Kitab Wa Sunnat.
Some of the works of this department like "Varzesh Wa Jam'ah have been published with the cooperation of Samt Publication.
This department has closely cooperated with other scientific and research institutions like " Dar al-Hadith". Most of the works accomplished by this department have been reprinted for the third and fourth time. Most of the works of this department are the books translated from Arabic to Persian but six Persian books have been translated into Arabic.
European Languages Translation Department
This department was established in the year 1984 by the invitation of the Cultural Deputy of Astan Quds Razavi. In the beginning the books translated by this department were printed in the name of "Cultural Deputy of Astan Quds Razavi" or "Printing and Publication Institution of Astan Quds Razavi" and were greatly acclaimed and some of the works were reprinted for many times.
In 1991, the foundation decided that the main task of this department should be the translation of the Islamic texts.
This department till now have translated 150 titles into Persian which are in the below-mentioned fields:
1. Islamic learning, 39 titles.
2. Education, psychology and management, 36 titles.
3. Basic sciences and engineering, 27 titles.
4. Agriculture, 11 titles.
5. Literature and bibliography, 4 titles.
6. Children and adolescent, 3 titles.
7. Medicine, 2 titles.
8. Physical education, 1 title.
The translation of the book "Succession to Muhammad (S.A.W.) " won " the Book of the Year 2000" award.
The translation of "The Heritage of Muslim Spain" which was accomplished by the group of translators won " the Book of the Year 2001" award. Some other works which have acclaimed appreciation are mentioned below:
1. Zaban Wa Maharthaye Zabani
2. Natawanihaye Yaadgiri.
3. Hakeem-e Iqlim-e Ishq.
Children and Adolescent Literature Department
This department came into being in 1984 simultaneously with the establishment of the Islamic Research Foundation.
This department till now have published 104 titles of books about the children and adolescent, which includes translation of 50 titles and compilation of 54 titles and at present four titles of book is being prepared for printing by this department.
Eight volumes of these titles have been selected for its excellent text, drawing and cover of the book by the organizations within the country and abroad as well as by the festivals conducted for the youth and adolescent literature.
Among the titles published by them about 50 percent of them have been reprinted many times.
In the festival of the Youth and Adolescent Books of Khurasan which was conducted this year the Children and Adolescent Literature department has won the first prizes in the fields of story-telling, pictures, translation, poems and publication of the books.
This department has actively participated in the second and third international exhibitions of the painters of the children books.
This department is compiling the lives of the Fourteen Masoomeen (Infallibles) (A.S.) entitled " Ganjineh-e Marifat". This plan is being compiled in the form of encyclopedia in 14 volumes according to the research needs of the adolescent.
Mishkat journal, is a lamp illuminating the light of Islamic sciences and knowledge to the learned and scholars. It publishes the articles with religious perspectives and its obvious that it reflects the scientific and research activities of the researchers in different departments of Islamic Research Foundation.
Elevating the cultural and scientific level of the society and introducing the Islamic sciences and learning is the main aim of this journal.
Mishkat journal stresses more on the aspects of the Holy Qur'an and the research in the Holy Qur'an, history and geography of the Islamic countries, theology and the new theological issues, bibliography, criticism and edition of texts and answering to the doctrinal and intellectual issues in the society especially the young generation.
Mishkat, is a scientific-promotional quarterly which is published by the Islamic Research Foundation to spread the Islamic culture and knowledge and the learning of Holy Ahl al-Bayt (A.S.).
This journal has published 60 issues from 1986-1988 under the editorship of Ayatullah Muhammad Waez Zadeh Khurasani and since 1988 Professor Muhammad Mahdi Rukni Yazdi has taken the charge of the editorship of this journal.
Biography and Genealogy Department
This department was established in the year 2001 with the cooperation of some scholars from the Islamic seminary and university to compile the lives and biographies and bringing out the genealogical tree of elders from Sadat [the descendants of the Holy Prophet (S.A.W.)] and the tombs. The first activity of this department was compilation of the lives of the personalities buried in the shrine of Imam Reza (A.S.) in three volumes with the cooperation of the geography department and includes the lives of the Ulama, artists, political, social and cultural personalities.
This department is at present compiling the biographies of the companions of the Holy Imams (A.S.) who belonged to Khurasan, the famous women of Khurasan, the guidebook to the famous women in the Islamic world. It is also compiling the biographies of the personalities included in the Encyclopedia of Astan Quds Razavi.
"The Selection from the Famous Personalities buried in the holy shrine of Imam Reza (A.S.)" is the work of this department which have already been published.
The Center for Khurasanology of Astan Quds Razavi was established in the year 1996 to carry out research in the fields of history, personalities, cultural heritage, tombs and folklore of Khurasan and in the year 2001 it was merged with the Islamic Research Foundation.
The Center for Khurasanology has published six issues of the quarterly " Khurasan Pajuhi" and 17 newsletters and has readied 20 endowments deeds of Khurasan for publication.
The Encyclopedia of Astan Quds Razavi Department
The compilation of the Encyclopedia of Astan Quds Razavi has commenced in 1977 by collecting the sources and formulating the entries for this work and its aim is to introduce all those elements which were responsible in the development of this holy shrine to the pilgrims and researchers. This initial work was carried out in the Center for Khurasanology and after its merger with Islamic Research Foundation, a separate department has been formed to accomplish this great task.
This department was established in the year 1376 Sh / 1997 CE with the objective of compiling various types of bibliographies particularly in the field of Islam and Shi'ism and it comprises a group of four researchers with different expertise. The first accomplished work of this department is the compilation of "the Catalogue of the Printed Translated Books into Persian from the beginning till 1370 Sh / 1991 CE" and this work was published in the year 1380 Sh / 2001 CE in three volumes. This catalogue introduces all the books translated into Persian since the inception of printing industry in Iran till the year 1370 Sh / 1991 CE. This catalogue includes twenty-five thousand entries in all the subjects in different languages and every entry furnishes classified information to the readers which contains the name of the author in Persian and Latin script, the Persian and original titles of the book, co-author, translator and co-translator, place of publication, publisher and the number of pages of the book.
This is a reference work for all the translators in every language and they by referring to it can get the acquaintance about the catalogue of the books translated into Persian and can avoid duplication in the work. The duplication of the work in the field of translating books is considered as calamity which have rendered losses to most of the translators and this present work, by providing the necessary information in this domain, can effectively prevent this cultural damage.
In the second stage of this plan the catalogue of the books translated into Persian from the year 1371 Sh / 1991 CE till 1380 Sh / 2001 CE is being compiled and the CD of this will be produced very soon.
Another work being carried out in this department since the year 1381 Sh / 2002 CE is the compilation of the bibliography of the distinguished Shi'ite personalities. At present the members of the department by collecting information from different bibliographies and catalogues are preparing the grounds for the classification and final compilation of this work.
Reviving the Islamic Economics Department
Islamic Research Foundation has successfully organized two international seminars in the field of Islamic Economics and the articles presented in these seminars have been published in Persian, Arabic and English.
In addition to this, the important work of this department is the book "Islamic Economics Texts in the Holy Qur'an, Sunnah and the Views of the Jurisprudents". So far ten volumes of this work have been published and the eleventh till sixteenth volumes are being readied for printing and it can also be considered as the most important scientific and research endeavor of the Islamic Economics department.
Thus, it is necessary to once again revive the Islamic Economics department with the help of the experts in Islamic Seminary and university in order to formulate the views of Islam in the contemporary economic subjects and issues.
Reviving the Nahjul Balagha Department
This department was founded in the early years of the establishment of Islamic Research Foundation with the objective to carry out research in Nahjul Balagha [Collection of sermons, letters and sayings of Imam Ali (A.S.)] and furnish its teaching in different ways and has published the below-mentioned works:
Tashih Wa Tahqiq Kitab Ikhtiyar Misbah as–Salekin; Sharh Wasit Ibn Maytham Bahrani Bar Nahjul Balagha; Al-Mo'jam al-Mawzuee Nahjul Balagha.
After a pause of few years in the activities of Nahjul Balagha department, keeping in view the importance of this department and the request of the respected director of Nahjul Balagha Foundation (Tehran) and the approval of the Board of Directors it has been decided to once again revive the Nahjul Balagha department so that with the help of scholars and experts in the Islamic Seminary, foundational research such as new research and edition of Nahjul Balagha can be carried out.
Keeping in view the expansion of information technology and the universal application of computers and utilizing them in the research and administrative affairs, the Information Office was established in the year 1365 Sh / 1996 CE to achieve the below-mentioned objectives:
1. Educational services by conducting various educational classes.
2. Obtaining the necessary hardware equipment for the departments and its maintenance.
3. Establishing the Software Information Bank.
4. Obtaining the necessary software for the research and administrative departments.
5. Planning and executing the computer systems needed by the departments.
6. Providing facilities so that the departments can access the Internet facilities.
7. Providing Intranet facilities to all the departments.
This department in addition to providing the above-mentioned services had also carried out some scientific and research plans which are as follows:
1. Producing the CD entitled "Furugh-e Vilayat" [the Encyclopedia of Imam Reza (A.S.)] with the cooperation of research departments.
2. Cooperating with the bibliography department in preparing the catalogues of printed translated books into Persian.
3. Planning the website of the foundation into Persian, Arabic and English for introducing the foundation and providing services to the researchers.
4. Preparing the computer catalogues of the books written by Shaykh Mufeed, Shaykh Saduq, Kutub Arba'a and others.
5. Cooperating with research departments like geography and astronomy to prepare their research proposals.
With the expansion of computer affairs, Informatics Council has been established to render more services to the researchers. Planning to prepare scientific and research software have attracted the attention of the officials and the Informatics Council comprising of experts have been established in the Information and Computer Office of the foundation.
Computer and Internet
Keeping in view the ever expanding computer activities in the country and utilizing the Internet facility in most of research and cultural centers and institutions, Islamic Research Foundation beside publishing books and journals is activating the website of the foundation with the help of computer technology so that the learning of the Holy Qur'an and the divine teachings of Ahl al-Bayt (A.S.) can be introduced through this medium.
The library of the Islamic Research Foundation contains 16700 titles in 40000 volumes in Arabic and Persian as well as 2500 books in European languages is maintained by the Information Office with the LC classification.
More details regarding the library are as follows:
1. Numbers of journals: Persian journals, 145 titles; Arabic 11 titles and European languages 9 titles.
2. Number of dictionaries and encyclopedias: encyclopedias 53 titles and dictionaries 297 titles.
3. General References: 119 titles.
CDs available in the library:
I) Kawish; B) National Library; C) The Library of Astan Quds Razavi; D) Namaye.
Programs implemented in the library
1. Preparing and publishing the subject-wise bibliography in three volumes.
2. Publishing seven issues of newsletter entitled "Pajuhesh Namah."
The Library has provided necessary specialized books to every department and fulfils the research needs of the researchers in the foundation.
The Director of Publication and Sale
The works related to the printing of every research work is accomplished in the foundation after undergoing various phases of research and compilation. Thus, it was necessary to activate the affairs related to publication and sale.
In this direction, from the year 1380 Sh / 2001 CE a directorate for publication and sale started its functioning to supply the works published to the interested persons and this directorate has supervision over the publication services and sales.
Publishing services along with the publishing units of edition, proof-reading, typesetting, graphics and the sales office, which includes the sales centers, the book stores and marketing are the various branches of this directorate.
Publication Services Office
The publication unit consisting of one officer, a person for technical preparation, one page setter and one supervisor over printing performs their role in regulating the hand-written work from the beginning till the publishing of the work in the press.
The edition unit with the help of its scientific know-how carries out the comparative and literary edition of the researched works in the foundation and other received works with close relation with author of the said works.
The typesetting units with the help of technical facilities and necessary know-how carries out the typesetting of books after receiving hand-written script along with the technical directions from the publication unit and in the final stage prepares its layout.
In the proof-reading unit the typed texts are compared with the hand-written scripts in accordance with the technical directives and the typing errors are sent back to the typesetting unit for the correction.
The Graphics unit in the foundation is responsible for designing the book covers and illuminating the pages of the art and special works and this unit is equipped with the necessary software and hardware facilities.
The foundation with the objective of extending the cultural benefits of its published works and for gaining the opportunity to create close relations with the book market has activated its sales office besides the extensive activities of Behnashr Company in supplying books by inaugurating a sales center in Qum in the year 1380 Sh / 2001 CE located in the beginning of the Safaiyah avenue of the city.
Islamic Research Foundation in order to facilitate the access to its published works has opened a permanent exhibition and sales center within the premises of its new building.
Islamic Research Foundation during its twenty years of activities has been able to carry the great trust, with the selfless efforts of its dedicated researchers, that even the mountains were unable to carry. Of course, the fruit of this great trust is to pave the difficult way which was possible only with painstaking efforts. Now with the Grace of the Only Creator the culture of this land which according to a saying is the appearance of the first fountain head is to be displayed to its seekers.
We hope with this brief report we can win the satisfaction of the culture-loving people for this cultural center.
Islamic Research Foundation since the year 1365 Sh / 1986 CE has been publishing a diary every year, which by undergoing an evolutionary process by correcting its mistakes and increasing its blessed points has now been considered as the most informative almanac of the Islamic Republic of Iran. In addition, its introduction of the historical events and the religious and national occasions, its educating character through the verses of the Holy Qur'an and the sayings of the Holy Infallibles (A.S.) has made this diary unique in comparison to other diaries.
The Iranian society has greatly welcomed this diary and its demand has reached such a high level that every year more than one hundred thousand copies of this diary are published. It has to be mentioned that the different supplementary elements in this diary like the astronomical phenomena (mansion of the moon confronting the Scorpio etc.). The religious timing corresponding with the horizon in Tehran and Mashhad, a table depicting the lives of the Holy Infallibles (A.S), the achievements of Astan Quds Razavi and events are presented and its powerful prospects have become the main reason that all its copies are sold out even before it is publication.
Seminars and Congresses
The Islamic Research Foundation from the beginning of its functioning in order to develop the expertise views in the necessary fields have organized various sessions and all of them were able to obtain great achievements. These seminars and congresses organized are as below:
1. International Seminar on Geography of Islamic Countries: 5-9 May 1985.
2. Seminar on Rural Migration in the year 1365 Sh / 1986 CE.
3. The first international Islamic Economics Research Conference, 5-8 September, 1988.
4. The second international Islamic Economics Research Conference, 5-7 September, 1990.
5. International Seminar on Silk Road (with the cooperation of UNESCO), 23-15 August, 1990.
6. The Congress of Books and Libraries in Islamic Civilization, 11-13 September, 1995.
7. The Conference on Imam Ali (A.S.), Al-Ghadeer, Islamic Unity, 15 February 2001.
Meanwhile, an international congress of Waqf (endowment) will be held in near future.
On account of its noticeable activities in the field of printing and publication in the country and Khurasan province, the Islamic Research Foundation has been selected as the Exemplary Publisher for many years.
1. Exemplary Publisher of the city, year 1373 Sh / 1994 CE.
2. Exemplary Publisher in the first book festival on Imamat and Wilayat, Year 1379 Sh / 2000 CE.
3. Exemplary Publisher during the seminar to pay homage to the Servants of the Holy Qur'an in the field of text culture, Year 1379 Sh / 2000 CE.
4. The Exemplary Publisher in the third seminar of the Selected Books of the Qum's Islamic Seminary, Year 1380 Sh / 2001 CE.
5. Obtaining the Appreciation Plaque in the Second Exhibition of the Holy Qur'an, Year 1373 Sh / 1994 CE.
6. Obtaining the Appreciation Plaque in the Third Exhibition of the Holy Qur'an, Year 1374 Sh / 1995 CE.
7. Obtaining the Appreciation Plaque in the Fourth Book Exhibition of Khurasan province, Year 1380 Sh / 2001 CE.
Islamic Research Foundation has published 1303 volumes of books so far and many of its books have achieved special place among all the books published in the country.
The titles of the books of the foundation, which have won distinction, are as follows:
Islamic Research Foundation
Near Tabarsi Underpass,Adjoined to the Holy Shrine of Imam Reza(A.S.)
P. O. Box: 91735-366
Mashhad - IRAN
Telephone No: 0098-511-2232501-10
Fax No: 0098-511-2230005