In Islam the importance of the keeping of covenants and not breaking of them has been emphasized.
1. Allah the Most High said: “O you who believe, fulfill your obligations.”
2. He also said: “Successful indeed are the believers& Those who are keepers of their trusts and their covenant.”
3. He also said: “And fulfill your covenants; surely every covenant shall be questioned about.”
4. He also said: “Except those of the idolaters with whom you made an agreement, when they have not failed you in anything and have not supported any one against you, then fulfill your agreement with them to end of their term; surely Allah loves those who are careful (of their duty).”
5. He also said: “And if they [Muslims] seek aid from you in the matter of religion, aid is incumbent on you except against a people between whom and you there is a treaty and Allah see what you do.”
6. Imam Muhammad al-Baqir (a.s.) and Imam Ja'far al-Sadiq (a.s.) said: “There are three things in which Allah does not give any permission to anybody to disregard them; trustworthiness to the good and to the bad, keeping covenants for the good and the bad, and doing good to parents whether they are good or bad.