Women's Socio-Cultural Council
The Women’s Socio-Cultural Council (WSCC) is an institute established for major policy-making and planning in women’s cultural and social issues in the Islamic Republic of Iran. As a department of The Supreme Council of the Cultural Revolution (SCCR), WSCC is also charged with creating the necessary coordination between these affairs. At the 450th session of the SCCR on 11/10/1999 WSCC was urged to establish a Women’s Information and Statistics Center. Providing information and statistics related to women, research and continuous evaluation of women’s socio-cultural status, comparatively study of research on women’s status in the world religions, philosophies and nationalities, and communication of the related Islamic views are included among the aims for establishing this center.
As a result, the Web based Women’s Information and Statistics Center (WISC) containing statistics, research, articles, bibliography, publications, laws and regulations, news, speeches, religious decrees and personalities on women’s issues was created. The Web Site designed in Farsi (Persian) and English is used by research and development, policy-making and planning centers. The full English version will be available to the public soon. Two possible search methods can be employed, as follows:
1) Subject classification of general topics such as: religion, health, culture, education and training, society, economy, psychology, law, politics and sports.
2) Key words.
Objectives of the Center
1. To have concentrated access to collections of information and statistics concerning women by providing and disseminating an information system at both the national and international levels.
2. To contribute to the continual study and assessment of women’s socio-cultural status and prepare annual progress reports.
Function and Programs
1. Comparative analysis of information and statistics and research findings from the divine religions’ viewpoint of women’s position and status, especially that of Islam, at both the national and international levels in order to direct research towards identification and introduction of a model for the Muslim woman.
2. Analysis of information and research results concerning women’s issues in order to be presented to the related centers.
3. Continual evaluation of women’s status on the basis of women’s qualitative and quantitative socio-cultural criteria.
4. Identification of obstacles and shortcomings, strong and weak points and the present status of women in various aspects to be submitted to the administrative policy-making and program developing centers.
5. Proposal for courses of action with the purpose of bringing about coordination and organization among the information and resources throughout the country.
6. Determination of priorities and fundamental research needs in women ‘s issues to be presented to the related research centers of the universities.
7. To create a major international information, resource and research center on women issues in order to provide services to both domestic and foreign researchers.
8. Recommendation for convention of experts and researchers on women’s issues and comparative analysis of research at both the national and international levels.
A Brief Description of Each Base follows:
1) The Statistics Base includes statistics tables and curves and it evaluates Women’s status quantitatively in the Islamic Republic of Iran in all areas.
2) The Research Base includes research projects, university dissertations, government reports, articles from scientific seminars and policy-making and planning projects. A wide variety of research and academic centers are the sources for the information made available to the public.
3) The Articles Base introduces written articles in publications and magazines about subjects relevant to women and the family. Special attention is paid to articles published in the WSCC Research Quarterly Journal.
4) The Bibliography Base introduces existing books on women’s issues and the family about general or specific subjects. Users can search according to title, author, name of institution or subject.
5) The Publication Base introduces existing publications and magazines related to women’s issues and the family. Users can search according to title, editor’s name or subject among the existing publications.
6) The Law Base includes laws, regulations and the policy of the Islamic Republic of Iran’s system related to women’s issues
7) The News Base includes domestic and international news related to women and can be searched by subject, title or keyword.
8) The Speeches’ Base introduces Imam Khomeini (RA) and Ayatollah Khamenei’s viewpoints on women’s issues. This base can be searched according to subject or keyword.
9) The Religious Decree’s Base contains legal questions which have been asked from religious authorities, especially Imam Khomeini (RA) and Ayatollah Khamene’i.
10) The Personalities’ Base introduces active groups of women at the national level and famous women in the global sphere. Each page can be updated by the specified personality through direct access to their specific page from home.
A Gallery of pictures related to the social, economic, cultural and political activities of women is also hosted at the Women’s Information and Statistics Center Web site. Also it includes services such as feedback, dialogue, polling and a display of WSCC’s cultural productions.
The English section of the Web site includes reference and information from national institutions as well as from international research centers especially from Islamic countries and sources. A section is also forecasted for the English base under the title of
Encyclopedia so that the user can have access to explanation of ambiguous and new phrases and terms translated into English existing in the texts.
Complementary views, suggestions and criticism from authorities on the subject as well as the transfer of statistics and information indicators from relevant centers are welcomed and will add to and enrich these databases.
Supreme Council of the Cultural Revolution Secretariat
101 Northern Palestine St. Enqelab Islami Ave. PO Box: 6317